Thursday 9 January 2014

52 books, 52 weeks - the last ones

Well I managed it - yippee!! 52 books in 52 weeks was the target and I actually managed  56 books so not too bad! Here are the last 6 books I managed to squeeze in :)


We have the complete Sherlock Holmes book but this is the only story I have read so far - I loved the connections between the original book and the BBC version. I'm going to wait until this series finishes on Sunday before reading any more.


This is a Kickstarter book that Matt bought (you can follow the author on Twitter here) and I'm not going to tell you anything about it other than to say it is brilliantly funny and you must go and buy it! Now. I had to stop reading it in bed as Matt was trying to get to sleep and I kept laughing out loud.


I didn't think I had read this book before but it turns out I had. It's not a particularly pleasant read but I would like to go and see it performed at some stage.


My love of Philip Pullmans writing is well documented (and surely it's time for my annual read of His Dark Materials Trilogy) and this young adults book is good. Not brilliant but good and I'm going to keep it for Anya to read one day.


Another Kickstarter book (this one was bought as it helped LGBT causes) and it was nice to see a book where lesbians and bisexuals in particular are treated as normal people and not as the usual stereotypes. The ending is set up nicely for a second book and I would buy more books with these characters.


Dystopian drama. Tick. Something ominous lurking. Tick. Hideous things happening. Tick. Nasty bully type person vs trying to do the right thing person. Tick. Needless to say I've already ordered the next four books in this series!

So I met and exceed my goal which I'm quite happy with :) I'm going to carry on this challenge but I'm not sure I'll be posting here* as a) I'm crap at writing reviews of books without major spoilers and b) you can see the books as I read them on my Pinterest Boards. This is the new board for this year although there aren't any books on there yet (I've started two but have yet to finish them!)

*I may do a couple of roundups every now

2 comments:

dropstitch said...

Well done, that's amazing! I only read 10 books in 2013 (woeful) but am en route to completing the first book of 2013 already. I joined Good Reads today and started putting in all the books I've read over the last couple of years. I think it could be good - a nice reading record plus it will recommend things based on your likes and dislikes. I'm trying not to get too hung up on the star rating thing and am just roughly rating. I find those sorts of things hard usually!

WendyCarole said...

Well done on achieving your goal. I read something the other day that said that the average American reads 4 books a year. Don't know what it is for UK but I can't imagine not having abook on the go. I am not sure how many I read in a year but it's easily one a week. Sometimes more.