Monday 9 July 2012

Uh oh - I've learnt a new craft!

When I was at the Vintage Fair on Saturday teaching my upcycling workshop Christine was also there teaching people to make toothbrush rugs (so called as they were made years ago using old toothbrushes*) I hovered for a little bit and then asked her to teach me too.


The orange and the blue are the bits I did in the workshop and the mustard, pink and white are old clothes that I have used since Saturday. It's already 37cms! Cool eh?


Once you've got the hang of it, it is very easy - so much so that Anya was helping me with it yesterday. Just look for toothbrush rug on You Tube. And it has come at the perfect time as I was going to start a plaited rug this week which would have been much more time consuming. I'm still getting the hang of it so this will be my practice rug and then I will be making one for the girls from their old clothes!

*the toothbrushes had holes at one end and the bristle end was snapped off and the end filed to resemble a large needle :)

4 comments:

Rose Cottage Crafts said...

Wow, you have really cracked on with that. I told you it was addictive...!

WinnibriggsHouse said...

That looks great. I might have to try one of those.

Twiggy said...

ooo I fancy having a go at that, fab colours !!
Twiggy

WendyCarole said...

Oooh that looks good I might give it a try. How do you join in new lengths?